Secured credit cards are credit cards for those with bad credit and those who never had credit. It is important to understand what a secured credit card is and what other things you have to know before signing up for one.
- Understand the terms and conditions of the credit card company. Before signing up, you have to read the fine prints first in order to avoid unpleasant surprises later on. You need to verify some important information: the length of grace period, the rate of interest, credit limit, charges, and the other details of the offer.
- Check your lifestyle and need for credit. If you are getting secured credit card to fix your credit rating. You must choose a card that matches your lifestyle. If you do not need to use your credit card on large purchases, choose one with a lower credit limit.
- Compare different types of cards in order to find the best card for you. There are lots of companies offering secured credit cards, and every company has their own set of rules. You have to carefully compare credit cards to find the one that suits you best.
- Period to wait to qualify for an unsecured card. Secured credit card holders can qualify for an unsecured credit card after a year of consistent payment.
- Verify if they’re reporting to the main credit bureaus. This is very important if you are attempting to reestablish your credit history.
You have to make sure that your chosen secured credit card company reports your payments to the major credit bureaus to have your credit report updated.
- Research for more information. Every 6 months, the Federal Reserve publishes a survey of credit card terms. There are various websites over the internet where you can compare offers.
These are just some of the important points that you have to think about before applying for a secured credit card. All secured credit cards may not be the same, and so, it is important to compare them to make sure that you’re signing up for the right one. This can also serve as your stepping stone to get approved for an unsecured credit card.
About the Author
Tara Tiemann is a credit analyst for Go-prepaid.com which has been a resource site for people who want to live debt free. If you are on a budget using prepaid debit cards,prepaid credit cards and prepaid cell phone service can save you big money!