It doesn’t really matter if you already own a credit card or not. Having a debit card in your wallet can come in handy at any time. What benefits can you expect from a prepaid debit card? Here are 8 benefits to think about:
1. You can set your own spending limit. With a credit card, it can be a little difficult to control spending because you have the option to purchase in advance and pay at a later date. With a debit card, that’s just not possible. If you want to limit your spending, deposit only the amount you plan to spend for the entire month. This way, you can be more in control of your budget.
2. Safer for travels and shopping around. Why carry a large amount of cash in your wallet when you can bring a prepaid debit card instead? Just like credit cards, debit cards offer protection against lost. In case your card gets stolen, you can call your issuer to have your account blocked against unauthorized transactions. Your debit card will be replaced with a brand new card number.
3. Avoid bad debt. Debit transactions are automatically paid the moment the purchase was made. If you don’t have an existing balance in your debit account, you will not be able to make any purchase. Thus, it eliminates the risk of bad debt.
4. No credit check. You don’t need to have a perfect credit history to get a prepaid debit card. Just like department store cards and gas station cards, credit check is not a requirement. Even with no credit or poor credit, you can easily get one.
5. No monthly bills. No bills will come your way, no payment due dates, no late penalty charges, and no interest rates. Imagine how stressful it must be to be worrying about all these.
6. Withdraw cash from any ATM at any time. Prepaid debit cards are also great during times of emergencies when you need to cash. For parents who need to send money to their college kids on a regular basis, a debit card is the faster, safer, more convenient and cheaper way to do that.
7. Can be used locally and internationally. If you travel to different countries, choose a prepaid debit card with a Visa or MasterCard logo. This way, you can be sure that your card will be accepted at leading merchants worldwide.
8. Build credit history. The newest prepaid debit cards in the market today offer credit reporting to the major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion). Those who want to establish credit or rebuild bad credit can get a debit card without worrying about getting rejected.
About the Author
Tara Tiemann is a credit analyst for Go-prepaid.com which has been a resource site for people who want to live debt free. If you are on a budget using prepaid debit cards,prepaid credit cards and prepaid cell phone service can save you big money!